Postponed League Matches

The forum for indoor clubs
DaventryIBC
Club Name: Daventry Indoor Bowling Club

Hi All,

We are just getting into the swing with Bowlr and will be starting Leagues and Competitions in November.

In normal times our winter season is extremely busy and sessions are always in demand. Consequently we are very strict with our League Team Captains and they have to pay for the rink if they postpone the match and don't release the rink.
So, the onus is on the Team Captains to release the rink and rearrange the match.

Since League Matches must always be allocated a session I am told the only way to release the rink is to move the match to another session. If a rearrangement has already been agreed then there is no problem apart form the Team Captain can't do it. Unfortunately, a lot a matches are put on hold and arranged later on towards the end of the season.

I am told 'all clubs are happy with this solution' and that I am the only one that finds this cumbersome and unsatisfactory in that the Team Captains can't change the bookings.

I have proposed the following:
The captain of the team who postponed the match must:
- inform the other team immediately
- cancel the rink booking on the diary, which makes it available for others
- agree with the opposition to play at another time and book a session accordingly
So in Bowlr, I would like the Team Captains to see the league diary entries for their teams on the microsite and be able to move them to another session or unbook and book a session later.

Ed

This has not been taken on board. Any comments?
nigelgalletly
Club Name: Banbury Central

Hi Ed. I'm from Banbury Central just down the road so I thought I'd introduce myself.
Obviously the system is designed for rink booking indoors but we hope to use it for our outdoor club starting for our summer 2021 season.
If its successful and we can ever get back to indoor bowling I imagine we might well consider its use for Banbury Cross IBC as well - but that's down the line.
However, I do fear that I would be a bit worried about allowing our 'team captains' to move league bookings about. If your members are anything like ours I could foresee a bit of a nightmare developing with backlogs of matches.
My understanding is that moving a league match (to a later date) would effectively move that 'round' entry with it making the table look somewhat odd until the matches are made up. This is what happens at present on our 'paper' system and you get a situation at the end of the season when teams 'don't bother' to fulfil the fixture as it doesn't impact them 'winning the league'.
Also the rink that has been vacated will most likely not be re-booked by anyone for a roll-up or competition and the 'moved to' will then presumably be charged at the League rate. Resulting in a loss of income to the Club.
How do you find this?
We have set up the Diary/League/Competitions of the microsite outside the login requirement so players can always view league positions with open public access. To move anything they would obviously have to login if it were available.
Nigel Galletly
AndyTorevell

Hi Guys,

We suggest in the case of posponed league matches, a club administrator moves the league match to a previous date in the diary(Parking Lot) when the new date of this match is confirmed you move it back to the new date and session time.
I agree with Ed who's club have no paid staff and this is similar at a vast number of clubs who would like to see the captains of the league teams move and rearrange these matches opposed to club staff or administrators. So, the only way this can happen in the current Bowlr format is for the club to give the captains a system login with limited access to carry out this procedure. The feedback i have from most clubs is they would only allow a club administrator or club paid staff to do this, but not a club member/team captain.
Comments and feedback from other clubs would be useful on this issue, with Bowlr version 2 on the horizon its possible changes could be made if enough clubs feel the Parking Lot idea is not suitable.

Many thanks
Andy